on sale now at amazon

on sale now at amazon
"I don't like this book because it don't got know pictures" Chief Rhorerer

“It’s becoming a disturbingly familiar scene in America - mentally unstable cops”

“It’s becoming a disturbingly familiar scene in America - mentally unstable cops”
“It’s becoming a disturbingly familiar scene in America - mentally unstable cops”

Former East Haven cop Dennis Spaulding takes to Facebook to say he is not a racist: posts statement he read in court


By Evan Lips, New Haven Register

East haven A day after he was sentenced to serve five years in federal prison for crimes that included civil rights abuses against Latino immigrants, convicted ex-police Officer Dennis Spaulding Friday cracked a wall of media silence that has stood ever since his January 2012 arrest.
He had taken to Facebook Thursday to post the statement he read aloud in court moments before U.S. District Court Judge Alvin Thompson’s sentencing. He disputed the claims of racism government prosecutors heaped upon him for the entirety of the monthlong trial.
“I am not a racist,” his statement included, along with stories of working restaurant jobs alongside undocumented immigrants and the friendships he made.
Reached Friday night, he talked about why he chose to post it.
“I felt like my side of the story was never told and I wanted people to know there are two sides to every story,” he said. “It was the crimes that were targeted, not the color of someone’s skin.”
Spaulding noted he couldn’t add more, over concerns anything public would adversely affect the sentencing appeal his attorney, Frank J. Riccio, was filing.
Spaulding never spoke during the monthlong trial that ended with his Oct. 21 conviction. He never elected to take the witness stand to counter claims from his accusers, instead opting to execute his Fifth Amendment right to silence.
Prosecutors appeared to have planned in advance to combat any attempts Spaulding may have tried to make on the day of his sentencing to dispute racism claims. The government’s sentencing memorandum, filed a week before, states bluntly that “simply saying does not make it so,” before labeling Spaulding as a “corrupt, abusive, racist and obstructionist police officer who has no regard for the civil rights of his victims.”
What follows below is Spaulding’s statement in its entirety, as posted on his Facebook profile page:

Dear Honorable Judge Alvin W. Thompson:

My Name is Dennis Spaulding:

During the course of this trial, I have been portrayed as a bully and a racist. I would like to use this opportunity to give the court, in my own words, a more complete picture of who I really am and a deeper understanding of my actions.
Since the time I was 16 years old, I have worked side-by-side with undocumented immigrates in the restaurant business. They have shared their stories and their struggles to enter this country, most times coming through the desert with little food or water. They have shared their struggle to continue to live in the shadows. As I told Father Manship numerous times, I applaud his efforts to push for immigration reform. The undocumented population, which I have met, truly are hardworking people who struggle every day for the betterment of their lives and the lives of their families. I hope the federal government will soon address these issues.