on sale now at amazon

on sale now at amazon
"I don't like this book because it don't got know pictures" Chief Rhorerer

“It’s becoming a disturbingly familiar scene in America - mentally unstable cops”

“It’s becoming a disturbingly familiar scene in America - mentally unstable cops”
“It’s becoming a disturbingly familiar scene in America - mentally unstable cops”

an unidentified Fairfax County police officer made some hurtful remarks regarding the character of the people

The Washington Times

July 20, 1995, Thursday, Final Edition

Matters of trust: How police see citizens' rights ...

SECTION: Part A; COMMENTARY; EDITORIALS; LETTERS; Pg. A22

LENGTH: 443 words

I was quite disturbed to read your July 12 editorial "Sent packing in Fairfax," in which Fairfax County Police Chief M. Douglas Scott and an unidentified Fairfax County police officer made some hurtful remarks regarding the character of the people applying for a concealed-weapon permit under Virginia's new concealed-weapon law.

The Washington Times reported that Chief Scott remarked that the new concealed-weapon law was "really scary." Your editorial also stated that an unidentified officer, upon seeing residents lined up to get their concealed-weapon permit applications, remarked, "Here comes the Wild West."

I don't intend to debate the merits of the concealed-weapons law. Rather, I wonder why Chief Scott and some police officers seemingly have such contempt for me and others like me as we merely go about exercising our rights under the law.

Implied in the statements that it's "really scary" and "Here comes the Wild West" is an attitude that places a barrier between the police and me. I am not a police officer, and I don't know any officers. I can imagine, however, that daily, grinding contact with the criminal (or marginally criminal) element of Fairfax has left its mark.

I am sure that the police - in order to survive - hold a view of the public that differs from mine. Nevertheless, I ask that Chief Scott reconsider his view because he is missing the fact that the vast majority of Fairfax residents support, defend and respect the police. I am concerned, then, that police would think any less of me simply because I wish to exercise my right to apply for a concealed-weapon permit.

I didn't know what to expect when I arrived at the Fairfax County police station annex on July 3, the first day of the application process. Aside from the long line (which I did expect), I found a delightful cross section of Fairfax County residents - black and white, young and old, men and women. If Chief Scott had been there, he would have seen the average law-abiding Fairfax County resident. He need not fear them. In fact, his job would be much easier if all Fairfax County residents were like the people in line that day.

Responsible citizens have rights, and with those rights come obligations. For a long time, the courts have held such people in contempt, presuming to know their needs and acting with destructive benevolence and active indifference. Virginia Gov. George Allen has transformed the situation, transferring an obligation from the state and placing it back where it belongs, with the citizen.

ANTHONY R. VANCHIERI

Alexandria

No comments:

Post a Comment